We just finished an incredible Essential Oils Basics workshop in my FREE Facebook workshop group. If you missed it, you can catch all the action HERE, until our next workshop on June 17th. For those of you who are catching this post after that date, here’s some juicy info about essential oils from the workshop.
So, what is an essential oil? Essential oils are made from aromatic compounds found in roots, seeds, bark, flowers, resins, and other plant parts. Through a steam distillation or expression process, we get essential oils that can be used aromatically, topically and/or internally, depending on the plant’s properties. The primary uses we’ll cover today are aromatic and topical use of essential oils for mood management.
How can we use essential oils for mood management? There are a few ways to reap the properties of these wonder-oils. The most common use is for aromatherapy. By using a diffuser, or breathing in the aroma right from the bottle, we are able to promote different feelings of calm, grounding, energy, alertness and more.
Through topical use, we are able to use essential oils not only through smell, but also skin absorption. Some essential oils can be applied directly to the skin (“neat”), or mixed with a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil (“diluted”), for localized benefits. ALWAYS avoid the face, eyes, inner ears, and broken/cut skin when using topically. Also be sure to refer to proper dilution ratios, especially when applying essential oils to little ones.
Here are dilution ratios for your reference!
.5% – Infants and Babies under 1 year
1% – Children under 12 years, Pregnant Women & the Elderly
2% – Daily Adult Use
3% – Short-term Use
For one 10ml roller bottle: .5% is 1 drop, 1% is 2 drops, 2% is 4 drops and 3% is 6 drops
Now that we’ve covered some uses, let’s go over my TOP TEN SINGLE ESSENTIAL OILS and how they can support you and your family! The oils are listed in alphabetical order, for easy reference.
- Clary Sage – This is one for you ladies out there! Clary Sage is a heavily herb-scented essential oil and was turned away from it at first. But after a few uses, I was hooked! This essential oil promotes calm, and when a couple drops are rubbed on the abdomen, it can provide support during your menstrual cycle. Clary Sage also helps bring balance to the Heart Chakra.
- Frankincense – This has to be one of my all-time favorite oils, period. Frankincense promotes grounding and relaxation when used aromatically. It also supports skin appearance, the immune system, the digestive system and nervous system. Frankincense also helps bring balance to the Root Chakra.
- Lavender – Lavender is one of the gentlest and most loved essential oils. Lavender promotes relaxation and deep, restful sleep. It can also help reduce anxious and nervous feelings, when diffused. This lovely essential oil can also be used to soothe skin irritations. Lavender also helps bring balance to the Third Eye and Crown Chakras.
- Lemon – My kiddos LOVE this essential oil and so do I. Lemon has a vibrant and uplifting scent, promoting feelings of wellbeing and vitality. It also purifies the air and supports healthy digestion and detoxification when taken internally. Lemon will help bring balance to the Solar Plexus Chakra
- Melaleuca (Tee Tree) – Melaleuca is an essential oil most commonly used for its benefits for the skin. It can help minor skin irritations and has cleansing and rejuvenating effects on the skin. Like Clary Sage, Melaleuca will also bring balance to the Heart Chakra.
- Oregano – Um, that’s an herb. Correct you are! But it’s a very powerful herb and its essential oil helps support the digestion, respiratory, and immune systems. Oregano also contains some wonderful antioxidants and, when combined with Lemon, makes for a super-charged cleansing agent. It will also help bring balance to the Heart & Solar Plexus Chakras.
- Patchouli – This oil has an instant grounding effect for me. It has a very musky/earthy scent and promotes grounding – especially during meditation. Patchouli also assists with wrinkles and blemishes and is said to promote healthy, glowing skin. When I’m having a rough day, this is my go-to oil and will help balance out the Root Chakra.
- Peppermint – This essential oil helps open up nasal passages, promotes clear breathing, and assists with nausea and head tension. When combined with Lemongrass, you have a terrific bug repellant! Aside from smelling marvelous, Peppermint also promotes clarity and alertness, and will balance out the Throat & Third Eye Chakras.
- Wild Orange – Orange is probably one of my favorite citrus blends ever. This essential oil is a powerful cleanser and purifier and assists with supporting a healthy immune system. When diffused, Wild Orange has an energizing and uplifting effect, allowing you to tackle the day. It also balances the Sacral Chakra.
- Ylang Ylang – This essential oil smells wonderful and when paired with Bergamot makes a heavenly, healthy perfume. Ylang Ylang, for me, is both relaxing and uplifting – promoting feelings of clam and tranquility. For an almost instant stress-reducer, look no further than this flowery scent. It also assists with balancing the Crown Chakra.
Let’s talk about Blend Recipes! Here are some of my favorites for your diffuser or roller bottles.
- Frankincense (2), Lavender (2), Patchouli (1), Juniper Berry (1)
- Promotes Grounding and Peaceful Sleep
- White Fir (3), Lavender (2), Wild Orange (1)
- Promotes Grounding and Happy Vibrations
- Lavender (3), Roman Chamomile (2), Geranium (1)
- Helps to Unwind & Promotes Peaceful Sleep
- Peppermint (2), Lavender (2), Lemon (2)
- Clear Sinuses / Allergy Blend
- Frankincense (2), Lavender (2), Melaleuca (1), Helichrysum (1)
- “Ouchie!” Blend for Bumps & Skin Irritations
- Peppermint (2), Grapefruit (2), Lime (1), Lemon (1)
- Wake Up Blend for Alertness / Focus
- Bergamot (3), Clary Sage (2), Patchouli (1)
- Women’s Mood / Hormone Support
Essential Oils Around the House:
- Add 15 drops each of Peppermint and Lemongrass to water in an 8 oz spray bottle and shake well. Spray outside around doorways and windows to keep bugs at bay.
- Add a couple drops of Lavender to wool dryer balls for amazing smelling clothes.
Not sure how to put together a rollerbottle? No worries, lovely! Check out my video below, where I walk us step-by-step through the process.
Final advice on using essential oils? Be sure to do your research, but have FUN! Experimenting with aromatic scents is one of my favorite things to do. ❤
Brightest Blessings, -Cory Gunn, CCH