I spent a LONG time researching Goddesses to help me on my first surrogacy journey. It was frustrating. I scoured books, articles, blog posts & came up empty. I found DOZENS of Goddesses of Fertility, Motherhood & Children, but none close to helping with surrogacy.
I began meditating with different Goddesses, asking them for guidance. I thought I was getting close when I remembered Isis’ story of conceiving Horus through a type of “artificial insemination” when she created her husband’s missing penis with magic (see my prior “Mommy Goddess: Isis” post for full story) – but the Goddess made it clear that she could help with IVF but NOT my journey as a gestational carrier.
I’d given up & began researching paired deities for an upcoming public Mabon ritual when I stumbled across Dionysus’ birth story.
This God of wine & harvests is son to Zeus & a mortal woman named Semele. When Zeus’ wife Hera discovered the woman was pregnant, she tricked her into having Zeus reveal his true form to her. Apparently, mortals can’t see the true forms of the Gods, because Semele died instantly, leaving pre-term Dionysus exposed to the elements.
To save his son, Zeus stitched the babe into his thigh & carried him as a Surrogate until Dionysus was ready to be born.
In another tale, Zeus gives birth to his daughter, Athena, after swallowing her pregnant mother. I couldn’t find any other Gods or Goddesses that carried & gave birth to children in this manner.
If you’re a Pagan Surrogate, call upon Zeus to guide you & lend you strength. This God had protected me throughout 2 surrogacy journeys & may yet guide me through another.
Below is the Surrogacy Ritual that I wrote and performed prior to each of my two surrogacy journeys.
For this rite you’ll need:
- 1 Pink & 1 Blue candle to represent the Deities
- 4 crystals (tumbled stones) to represent the Elements
- Plastic Egg (or real egg shell, hollowed out but in tact), with mini basket & fake grass
- Pre-cut Green or Yellow ribbon (choose a gender neutral color)
- Paper & Pen
- Dish of Salt
- Chalice or Cup of Water
- Incense & Matches or Lighter
- Ground and Center
- Cast the Circle with a wand, athame or your finger
- Invite 4 Directions/Elements, by stones:
- I call to the North, Element of Earth; that which stabilizes, strengthens, and grounds me. I ask for your blessings this night and welcome you to my circle in peace and in power, with harm to none. Blessed Be!
- I call to the East, Element of Air; that which keeps me rooted in reality and encourages my pursuit of truth. I ask for your blessings this night and welcome you to my circle in peace and in power, with harm to none. Blessed Be!
- I call to the South, Element of Fire; that which empowers me but also reminds me not to take myself too seriously. I ask for your blessings this night and welcome you to my circle in peace and in power, with harm to none. Blessed Be!
- I call to the West, Element of Water; that which fosters my intuition and opens me up to the gifts of universal love. I ask for your blessings this night and welcome you to my circle in peace and in power, with harm to none. Blessed Be!
- Cleanse and Clear Space
- Add salt to water – “I add Earth to Water, creating the Elixir of Life, flowing with the powers of creation and birth. It is with this mixture that I cleanse and consecrate this sacred space. So Mote it Be!”
- Light the incense – “I add Fire to Air, creating smoke swirling with the powers of rebirth and purity. It is with these vapors that I cleanse and consecrate this sacred space. So Mote it Be!”
- Invite Demeter and Zeus & light their candles:
- I call to the Goddess, our great Mother, in all of her aspects and guises, but most especially this night I call to Demeter, honored Mother of Persephone; Goddess of Fertility and Marriage; you who have taken the role of Nurse to others while raising your own daughter. Be with me tonight to understand the role I undertake in assisting the growth of another family while raising my own. I welcome you to my circle in peace and in power, with harm to none. Blessed Be!
- I call to the God, our great Father, in all of his aspects and guises, but most especially this night I call to Zeus, honored Father of Persephone; you who have taken the role of “Surrogate” to at least two of your children and have given birth to others. Be with me tonight to understand the role I undertake in the nurturing and birth of a child as “Surrogate”. I welcome you to my circle in peace and in power, with harm to none. Blessed Be!
- Cast the Spell:
- Write down the hopes and desires of this Surrogacy Journey with the markers on the stationary. Roll up the paper and tie the pink and blue ribbons around it. Place it in the Egg and Glue the larger, multi-colored ribbon around the Egg. Hold it in both hands while charging the Egg with energy and say:
“My hopes and dreams, all written down,
Bound in this egg, they’re safe and sound.
I ask these things with harm to none,
With grace and ease for everyone.
These hopes and dreams, I carry with me;
As it is written, so shall it be!”
Place the egg in the basket, once fully charged.
- Ground any residual energy
- Say “farewell” to Goddess and God (blow out candles)
- Say “farewell” to Directions/Elements (stones)
- Re-absorb Circle
I hope you lovelies enjoy the ritual! If you perform it, I would love to know how it went!
Brightest Blessings, -Cory Gunn