There is a lot of information floating around regarding Chakra balancing, but what about balancing these energy centers during pregnancy, birth and postpartum care?
During the next seven days, I want to take you through the main seven Chakras and techniques I use to balance them during this special time!
Each day, I’ll cover a Chakra and the exercises, crystals and essential oils I love to use in order to balance that Chakra.
What is a Chakra?
Chakra is Sanskrit for “wheel”. Chakras are energy centers in and around our physical bodies (residing in our “energetic body” or electromagnetic fields). When these energy centers are in balance, they spin, giving them a wheel-like appearance.
We have 7 major Chakras that run from about 2 inches above our heads, down our spines to the tip of the tail bone/coccyx. Starting with the base Chakra at the tail bone, the 7 major centers are:
- Root Chakra – governs survival instinct, basic physical needs (like food, shelter, warmth), security and our tribal roots (ancestry).
- Sacral Chakra – governs sexuality, creativity, and feeling pleasure of all types.
- Solar Plexus Chakra – governs our self-identity and self-empowerment.
- Heart Chakra – governs all types of relationships and love (acquaintances, family, friends, partners and universal love/connection to humankind).
- Throat Chakra – governs communication, our inner truth and self-expression.
- Third Eye Chakra – governs intuition and imagination.
- Crown Chakra – governs spirituality and our connection to “the divine” or the universe – our ability to see the “big picture” resides here.
Keeping our Chakras Balanced
Why is it important to keep these Chakras, or energy centers balanced? As you can see from above, these Chakras govern nearly every one of our emotional needs – so, keeping these balanced will add to our overall emotional health! This is important for everyone, but doubly important for mom and baby. ❤
How do we keep our Chakras balanced? There are a few ways to do this. The first is to use crystal vibrations!
Using Crystals for Energy Balance
Crystals are amazing holistic healing tools because they maintain a high-frequency vibration. As humans, we are constantly changing. Our cells get re-created every few days and by month’s end, we’re practically a new person! Changes in our diets, activity and moods affect our cells and our energy centers – either positively or negatively.
Crystals, however, DON’T CHANGE; they vibrate at the same rate all the time. This is fantastic, because we can then use the energy vibrations of crystals to “re-tune” our own energy – just by placing the crystal on our near us!
When using crystals for Chakra balancing, I prefer two methods:
Since you’ll be drinking a lot of water no matter what stage you’re in (pre, during, or post-pregnancy), charging your water with crystals using the “indirect” method is a great way to balance your energy centers. To do this, make sure your water is in a clear(-ish) plastic or glass container. A color-tinted clear tumbler will work just fine. 🙂
Next, take the crystals you’d like to use for balancing and place them on a table, touching the cup. Leave the crystals touching for about 15-30 minutes to fully charge the water. The charge will last all day, but its best to drink the water soon after charging!
You can also charge your essential oils using this method, as long as they are in an Amber or Cobalt (or other color-tinted glass container. Solid colored rollerballs will not work, my lovelies!).
*When making gem elixirs, be sure to use 1-3 stones max! Using more than 3 stones can dilute the vibration. ❤
The second method I use for Chakra balancing with crystals is to lay the crystals on the energy centers themselves.
Laying of Crystals
Lay flat on your back (for pre or post-pregnancy) and place the corresponding crystal on your Chakra for 5-20 minutes. There’s no need to keep the crystal on the center for longer than 20 minutes.
- Root Chakra – place the crystal between your knees. Your Root Chakra lies at the tip of your tail bone, but this center has a large spin and can be balanced with a crystal just between your knees. 🙂
- Sacral Chakra – place the crystal about 2 inches below your belly button.
- Solar Plexus Chakra – place the crystal about 2 inches above your belly button.
- Heart – place the crystal right over the center of your heart.
- Throat – place the crystal right at the base of your throat, where your clavicles meet. If having a crystal on your throat is bothersome, you can place the crystal on the bed/floor beside your throat (either side will do!).
- Third Eye – place the crystal in the middle of your forehead, right above the brow bone.
- Crown – place the crystal about 2 inches above your head, on the bed/floor.
For pregnant mommas who can’t lie on their backs, I lay on my left side (this is usually more comfortable due to placement of stomach opening and esophagus – gas and acid tend to travel back up when lying on the right side).
Once you’re comfortably lying down, place the crystals along the front of your body in the spots they would be – see picture of me below, with crystals positioned.
Using Essential Oils for Energy Balance
Another great way for keeping our Chakras balanced is to use essential oils. Diffusing essential oils is fantastic for mood management – you can use a regular diffuser, or use an essential oil inhaler or rollerball for on-the-go aromatherapy. You can also inhale right from the bottle!
A word of caution for pregnant mommas: there are some essential oils that should be AVOIDED during pregnancy. These oils can cause severe reactions (such as bringing about early contractions!) that we want to avoid. Please ALWAYS do your research before using a new essential oil.
I also try and stick with aromatic use during pregnancy. If you would like to blend oils into a rollerball, please be sure to dilute to the correct percentage! 2% dilution is great for every day, adult use; however, pregnant mommas should drop that down to 1%.
While the oils I’ll be discussing in this series are safe for use during pregnancy and while nursing, I still urge you to be cautious. This is the internet after all! You should always question everything you read, no matter the source.
Also, if something doesn’t resonate with you, don’t feel obligated to use that information! As I always say, I’m just the messenger of what works for ME. Please take what you will and leave the rest, lovelies! ❤
That’s it, lovelies! There are several other ways to balance each Chakra and we’ll go over those through the course of the series. Today, we cover the Root Chakra. I hope you enjoy! ❤
Brightest Blessings, -Cory Gunn, CCH
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: None of the health topics presented here have been evaluated or approved by the FDA and should NOT be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Always consult your licensed physician regarding medical advice, diagnosis and treatment. Use your best judgment, lovelies! ❤