I’ve been a practicing Eclectic Witch for over 16 years now and have used various different tools throughout my journey. However, I only just recently began using Essential Oils in my practice. Using oils in general, during ritual and spell work, isn’t a new concept to most Wiccans and Witches, but with the wide range of essential oils available I wanted to touch on how I’ve been utilizing them.
Below are my top uses for essential oils in my spiritual practice, so far:
- Energy Clearing
- I often diffuse essential oils or make “smudging” gem elixir sprays to cleanse and clear the energy of my sacred space before and after ritual work. It’s easier (and less pungent) than traditional smudging with sage or spraying Florida Water (I’ve never been a fan of the scent).
- Oils I use for energy clearing are: “Purify” (doTERRA blend); Lemon + Peppermint + Lavender – I diffuse about 5-6 drops per 100 ml of water
- Anointing Spell / Ritual Candles
- Making essential oil blends for anointing spell candles can be super fun! For basic spells, I use the following: 1 oz carrier oil (usually fractionated coconut) with 9 drops Ylang Ylang, 9 drops Frankincense, 6 drops Hawaiian Sandalwood & 6 drops Patchouli.
- Using 1-2 drops of doTERRA’s “Balance” blend also works well!
- Diffuse During Meditations
- Essential oils have become a staple in my meditation practice. Some of my favorites to diffuse are: doTERRA’s “Serenity” or “Balance” blends, Young Living’s “Sacred Mountain” blend, Lavender + Patchouli + Vetiver
These are just a couple of uses for essential oils within a witchcraft practice. Do you have any uses you’d like to share? If so, I would love to hear about them!
Brightest Blessings, -Cory Gunn, CCH