As I prepare for birth for a 4th time, I’m doing things a little differently. All of my previous deliveries have been in a hospital with an epidural, but have still been very spiritual experiences. I don’t believe that you need a home birth to have a wonderful, holistic birth experience.
However, I do want to incorporate more of my holistic practices into this birth. This time around, I’m packing Affirmation Cards and Essential Oils in my hospital bag (along with Crystals – which I’ve used during previous births).
Previously, I’ve channeled Reiki (universal healing energy) and used crystals to assist with the birth process. I’ve worn crystals and even held tumbled stones during contractions. For this birth, I’ve packed the following in my hospital bag:
- Moonstone – to assist me with falling into the ebb and flow of my contractions and help “ride the wave”. This stone should also help balance me out, post-partum.
- Bloodstone – this crystal is said to be a great detoxifier and assists with bleeding during and after birth.
- Rose Quartz – to keep me calm and balanced (emotionally) during labor.
- Unakite – this stone is an all-around great stone for promoting the health of both baby and mom during pregnancy, labor and delivery.
- Moss Agate – this crystal is often called the “birthing stone” and is said to help with the overall birthing process and post-partum healing.
For convenience, I’ve placed these five stones into a kit and listed them in my Etsy shop! You can purchase a kit for yourself or another pregnant momma HERE.
As I approach my due date, I’ve also started wearing a Malachite bracelet. Malachite is considered the “Midwifery” stone and is another strong all-around healer. It’s also a stone of manifestation and I’ve programmed this bracelet with the intention of having a smooth, unhindered birth. ❤
Since joining doTERRA, I’ve had such wonderful experiences learning about Aromatherapy and how to incorporate the use of essential oils into my daily life. I’ve already packed the following oils for travel with me to the hospital (for aromatic use only):
- Frankincense – This oil is known for its anti-inflammatory and skin healing properties; however, it is also a very woody, grounding scent and assists with headache relief.
- Clary Sage – This oil should NOT be used prior to labor as it is known to bring on contractions, assisting when labor is stalled. It’s this very reason why I’ve packed this oil in my hospital bag – all three of my previous pregnancies needed medical inductions and my hope is that Clary Sage may come to my rescue before resorting to Pitocin 🙂
- Lavender – I don’t leave the house without this oil, so I’m definitely taking it with me to the hospital! 🙂 This oil is incredibly calming and helps me keep my stress levels down.
- Patchouli – Another grounding oil, this one is perfect for promoting relaxation (great for during and after birth!).
- Hawaiian Sandalwood – Enhances mood and also promotes relaxation. Since it is considered a mood stabilizer, I’m hoping to use it for post-partum balance.
- Lemon – An invigorating scent, lemon will help give me a pick-me-up, should I start to lose steam (my previous labors have lasted 15-30 hours).
- Peppermint – This is another oil that is said to help with headaches, but also nausea (I threw up during labor with my daughter).
- Rosewood – This one is definitely a mood enhancer for me! Any time I need a aromatic “pep-talk” I pull out Rosewood.
- Roman Chamomile – Aside from it’s calming properties, Roman Chamomile is also said to assist with easing nausea (it’s worth it to have more than one option!).
- Ylang Ylang – This oil is said to help with relaxation and soothing sore muscles – it blends well with Frankincense or Patchouli.
In addition to these 10 oils, I’ve also made some roller ball blends:
- CONTRACTION / LABOR SUPPORT – Patchouli, Clary Sage & Bergamot. I’ve charged this blend with Malachite (for birth support), Lapis Lazuli (for pain) and Clear Quartz Crystal.
- GROUNDING BLEND – Balance doTERRA blend, Roman Chamomile & Lavender. This blend I’ve charged with Smokey Quartz (for grounding and healing) and Rainbow Fluorite (for Chakra clearing).
- MOOD STABILIZER – Frankincense, Lavender & Wild Orange. I’ve charged this blend with Carnelian (for Sacral Chakra health and overall mood boosting) and Ruby (for emotional balance and heart healing).
- ENERGIZER – Peppermint, Lemon & Lime. I’ve charged this blend with Honey Calcite (for energy and positivity) and Aquamarine (for overall healing & clear communication – which is needed during labor!).
After making the blends, I took the tumbled stones and placed them up against the glass roller balls for 30 minutes to charge the oils.
In addition to charging the blends with crystals, I’ve also infused them with Reiki energy for an added boost. ❤
Last Sunday 1/29, I received a singular Master Reiki Attunement (I previously received level 1 and level 2 attunements in 2012). Finding a new Reiki Master, I took the opportunity to have a more traditional, singular attunement – much like the singular attunement received by Master Maiko Usui, who re-discovered Reiki in 1922.
Since I’m pregnant, the little girl I’m carrying received the same attunement (how cool is that?!) and will be able to channel Reiki energy from birth! I’ve channeled Reiki during previous labors and will do the same during this labor – the only difference being that I’ll be able to use Master symbols this time. 🙂
OTHER HOLISTIC TOOLS
In addition to the above, I’m packing my wonderful Pregnancy, Labor & Nursing Affirmation Cards by the wonderful Lauren Tannehill, my tumbled crystal chakra set, and my lavender & rosemary hot/cold pillows made by Sharon O’Connell.
In sharing these tools with you, my hope is they’ll give you ideas for your own labor and delivery! As with all of my other posts lovelies, please take what works for you and leave the rest. ❤
-Cory Gunn, CCH
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: None of the health topics presented here have been evaluated or approved by the FDA and should NOT be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Always consult your licensed physician regarding medical advice, diagnosis and treatment. Use your best judgment, lovelies! ❤